Helsby Golf Club
Helsby Golf Club was formed in 1901. However, the course itself began in 1902 when the club moved onto 30 acres of land off Primrose Lane & Towers Lane, near to today's 10th hole.
In 1915, with the lease on the original Towers Lane land running out, the club moved to the top of Helsby hill, adjacent to Harmer's Lake.
In 1936, plans for a new course on Towers Lane were prepared by the champion golfer and renowned course architect James Braid. This new course occupied the land which is now the front 9 holes.
In 1964, additional land was purchased on the opposite side of Towers Lane. Plans were then drawn up for what is now the back 9 holes and Helsby Golf Club became a full 18 hole golf course in 1968.
As the above drawing shows, the original clubhouse was on the opposite side of Towers Lane to today's clubhouse, located close to what is now the 5th tee. However, it burned down in 1970 and, after what must have been a very challenging period without a clubhouse at all, the new one was built where it stands today.
Some say that when the old clubhouse burnt down, the only thing left was the frame of the old piano, which was buried next to the 2nd green - hence the hump now referred to as "the piano". Whether entirely true or not, it's still a nice story!
The founding of Helsby Golf Club originated from a meeting on 28th October 1901 at Heathercliffe the home of Mr James Taylor.
The 50 acres that were leased from Mr T Noden in 1936 is some of the land which comprises the present front nine. The clubhouse was rebuilt on a site which is presently occupied by the greens compound. This clubhouse was eventually destroyed by fire on Christmas Eve 1970.
This is a summary of events that took place during 1936 and was the background for the Special Annual General Meeting called for on September 18th 1936.